You are invited to our Spring Potluck this Saturday, March 22, 4:00-7:00pm. We’re missing the Equinox by a few days, but we’re excited about celebrating Spring with our friends at Festival Beach!
Please bring a dish to share and your own plate, cup, and utensils (we’ll have a wash station set up).
We have some spring-time celebration ideas in mind, but would also welcome yours! Also, please let us know if you can come a little early and help set up or if you can stay a while afterwards for clean-up.
Children and musical instruments are welcome!
Happy Spring Equinox!
Kathy, Regina, and Katie, potluck planning team
This Saturday is our monthly workday. We are also holding a plant sale. We will focus most of our attention on keeping the garden tidy for our guests and assisting in the sale. We will, however, have a few tasks to complete.
We are also asking for help on Wednesday and Friday in preparation for the plant sale. If you are available and want to get your work hours in, we are mowing and cleaning and hauling trash. Please reply directly to me if you are interested.
Thanks and see you in the garden.
Hi All –
Thanks for all the work you do to help maintain the garden! We have a busy next three weeks and we need all hands on deck. All of these activities count towards the required monthly work hours (2 hours per month per plot). Please remember to track your hours in the work hours binder in the shed.
• Saturday February 22nd, Project 2014 (UT’s largest day of service): We’ll have 75 volunteers per shift (10 am -1 pm and 1pm -5 pm), your work will be welcoming the volunteers, helping coordinate or oversee activities, answering questions, working alongside them, etc.; the volunteers will be building a new shed, accessible beds, and rain garden, planting new fruit trees and herbs, and improving the paths. If you’re able to help out for any amount of time on the 22nd, then please let Julio and me know so we can plan accordingly.
Katie: Katie.Falgoust@gmail.com Julio: email@example.com
• Saturday March 1st, It’s My Park Day (Austin Parks Foundation), 9 am to 1 pm: Please join fellow gardeners and our neighbors in continuing to improve our garden. Sign up here:
You’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of Spring projects including 1.) weeding and mulching perennial beds 2.) weeding and mulching habitat trees and fruit trees 3.) planting our new rain garden 4.) planting transplants and seeds in communal garden 5.) weeding, mulching, planting a herb garden; and 6.) turning compost. You’ll get free goodies including a T-shirt!
• Saturday March 8th, Monthly Workday and Plant Sale, 9 am to Noon: This will be our regularly scheduled workday (2nd Saturday of the month) coordinated by the Compost Team plus our first ever Plant Sale! Farah is leading the plant sale and would appreciate any assistance you can provide, such as set up/ clean up, promoting the sale via in-person contacts and social media, and signage. If you can help out, then please contact her: firstname.lastname@example.org
More info will follow.
Thanks and happy gardening!
Gardeners, on Saturday, February 22 we will have University of Texas students working in the East Austin area, helping to improve our community. Festival Beach has been approved for some of these improvements:
1. Build a new storage shed to store our rider mower and push mowers.
2. Build our rain garden.
3. Plant some new fruit trees in our Orchard.
4. Clean and plant new herbs in the Herb garden.
5. Build new accessible beds, and improve accessible paths in granite this includes the main entry path.
We need all teams to participate on this day. There will be two shifts. First shift will be from 10am to 1pm. The second shift from 2pm to 5pm. We will need at least two people per shift from each team to supervise, guide and help the students work.
If there are teams that have any other tasks (not listed above) that need to be done, this is the time to let me know. We expect to have about 160 students that day. We will have plenty of help to accomplish additional items that have not gotten done. Please let me know asap, so that we can try to best assign students to those tasks.
Please note, all pathways must be clear so it does not slow the work down. Anything in the way will be removed. No pots, planters, plants,wood,tools, extra gardening materials, etc. can be left in a pathway. The pathways should be cleared at all times. All items that are yours should stay in your gardening plot, please.
Anyone that has not done their work hours, this would be a good time to do them, beside we would appreciate your needed help that day.
Please feel free to ask any questions about the February 22 workday. Could you let me know via email email@example.com if you will be able to attend, so I can see if we have enough gardening leaders for this event. Try to come help even if it’s just an hour or two; anything helps.
A Google type calendar is in the works for the Festival Beach Website, but in the meantime, please mark your calendars. Fun, fun coming our way!
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, March 8, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Plant Sale – late March (date to be announced)
Equinox Celebration – around March 20 (to be announced)
FB Steering Council meeting – March 26, 6:30-8:00pm
Austin Parks Foundation Grant, 1st draft due- March 30, Final draft due April 30
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, April 1,2 9 to noon
FB Steering Council meeting – April 23 (to be confirmed), 6:30-8:00pm
Austin Parks Foundation Grant, Final draft due April 30
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, May 10, 9 to noon
FB Steering Council meeting – May 28 (to be confirmed), 6:30-8:00pm
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, June 14, 9 to noon
FB Steering Council meeting – June 25 (to be confirmed), 6:30-8:00pm
Keep Austin Beautiful Grant – due July 1
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, July 12, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, July 12, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, August 9, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, September 13, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, October 11, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, November 8, 9 to noon
Festival Beach Workday – Saturday, December 13, 9 to noon
Winter Solstice Celebration – around December 20 (to be announced)