Saturday, April 9, on one of the prettiest days of the year so far, the garden welcomed student volunteers from UT’s Project Reach Out. Students, gardeners and garden volunteers joined forces to tackle several projects around the garden. We spread mulch and compost around several trees, including the giant Cottonwood in the center of the garden. We worked on the bioswale (formerly called the rain garden). We planted in our perennial beds. We worked our community garden plots and raised beds. We created a new path in section B, complete with weed cloth and gravel. We relocated bag upon bag of Bermuda grass away from the garden. And we did planning for the Habitat garden! Then we ate pizza!
It was an unbelievably productive day, and we are extremely grateful to our volunteers and new friends for the many improvements to our community garden. THANK YOU!
Special thanks to the following folks who made a big impact on the day!
- Mary Lynn and the Compost committee for pre-event planning and coordination
- Keep Austin Beautiful for lending us tools and Kathy S. for transporting them to and from the garden
- Patricia for arranging for a Bob Cat and driver to dig out the bioswale
- Jose, Mark and David for repairing two broken water pipes!
- Polly for getting everyone signed in
- Alec for leading a group of volunteers who worked on the bioswale
- Jean, James, Nick and Marcela for leading groups of volunteers who worked on the perennial beds
- John for leading a group who worked on the community garden plots
- Jack and Joy for leading groups who spread the compost and mulch
- Crystal for leading a group who filled raised beds with compost
- Daniel for digging out a weedy row in section B and turning it into a beautiful new pathway
- Dan, Susan, Richard, Glenn, Katrina, Jane, Libby, Dawn and so many others for their hard work
- Beverly and Joy for donating and filling bags with Bermuda grass, and relocating away from the garden
- Kathy Mc. who was everywhere helping everyone as always!
- Farah and Kathy S. for taking the photos (mostly Farah!)
- Festival Beach Gardeners for chipping in on the pizza!
- Joy and Kathy Mc. who provided the summary of the day’s accomplishments and the kudos to the team