The one year anniversary celebration of our garden will be on Saturday, June 4th, 10:00am-1:00pm.
We want to celebrate being the first community garden established on Austin Parks and Recreation Department land through partnership with the Sustainable Food Center and a grant from the Austin Parks Foundation.
The anniversary event is free and will include samples of food and drinks from our local sponsors, activities for children, garden tours, information tables about gardening and sustainable living, music, and lots of laughter. We will thank our community “partners” with a short ceremony from 11:00-11:30.
We invite gardeners, volunteers, and all Austinites to come help us celebrate our first year of gardening and partnerships.
Note: Volunteers are needed for one-hour shifts at information, food, and children’s activity booths or to help with set-up or clean-up, so please contact Kaela Champlin at kaela.champlin <at> gmail.com or (512) 567-0740 to let her know what you can do.
Please join us for our monthly Garden Planning Meeting this Wednesday, February 23, 6:30 – 8:00 pm at Terrazas Library. The library is at 1105 East Cesar Chavez (just west of Waller Street).
Everyone is welcomed. It’s a good opportunity to find out what’s going on at the garden and to decide if you want to be involved in the organizing, planning, and visioning that is necessary to make our garden successful.
Proposed Meeting Agenda:
- Committee and work team meetings (6:30-7:00) — team check-ins plus the opportunity for those who are not on a committee to find one to join
- Introductions - Use the leader roles from last meeting to introduce yourself (see StarHawk’s spirit tasks in the meeting minutes to determine the “informal” roles you take on in a group)
- Reports from committees and work teams
- Calendar of workdays and volunteer group participation
- Community Garden Tour – May 1
- Grant possibilities
- Sign making
- What else? Please email our admin team if you have something to add!
We have a lot to discuss! A number of exciting work projects are underway and to comply with our Austin Parks Foundation grant, most of these projects need to be completed by the end of May. W’re going to be enjoying a very busy spring!
See you Wednesday!